Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Pretty Good Knock- off


One of my favorite fast food restaurants is Chipolte. When I was pregnant with Audrey living in KC I think I probably frequented that place once a week at least! It just ALWAYS sounded good. Now, fast forward two years and here I am in Sabetha with a DK (burgers and ice cream), Pizza Hut, Subway and some diners- NO CHIPOLTE! Gosh, it sometimes is hard on this PG Momma.
My favorite thing to get was a Fajita Buritto - either bowl or wrap. Well, I have found a pretty good knock -off (thanks to another blog) and it's satisfing those cravings fairly well. I made it again last night and thought I should share it for all of you out there who don't live in a city or just don't like to eat out.

Fajita Burrito Bowl

Rice (I used my rice cooker with basmati rice- could use jasmine too but I'm sure minute rice would be fine too)
Fajita meat (you can buy ready to go fajita meat- either chicken or beef --- I use cut up chicken and then saute it in a fajita seasoning packet).
Pepper & Onion strips (cut up and sauted in with the meat until cooked but still crisp)
Black beans (drain- can heat up in microwave)
Shredded lettuce
Canned corn (added in chopped cilantro- the cilantro is a key ingredient- don't forget it! )
Shredded cheese
sliced olives- drained
Salsa
Sour cream
Guacamole
Serve tortillas as an alternative to the rice or if they wanted it burrito wrap style.

*for those of you who don't like fajita veggies- you could substitute refried beans for the veggies

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Tasty Kara! I'm a big Chipotle fan too....mmmmm...makes me want some now :)

Jas said...

kara
its totally my fav place to eat too, esp. since kids-fast and good. I always get the taco bowl-yum-im going to try this recipe sometime this next week. oh and i keep meaning to tell you that tyse calls your daughter "otters" - "otters" da da took out his stitches the other day and "otters" gpa came to spray-i laugh every time he says it!!
gina

Anonymous said...

Chipotle has been a craving of mine this pregnancy too. I tried to make it at home but my tortilla wasn't soft like theirs so it was a bit of a let down. I can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks!!

Angela Knight said...

Hi Kara!
So glad to hear from you on our blog! Our new little room was very fun to get together! I agree with you - I would like the room for myself, too! I added the hot pink curtains and bed-skirt to make it a bit more kiddish. I got the metal flowers at Hobby Lobby in December! The employees were actually going through boxes of spring decorations that had just come in. I just happened to see those and snatched them up! I did see a couple more flowers a few weeks ago. They had about five different colors. Maybe you could even check Hobby Lobby online.
My original plan was to paint five big butterflies on the wall. You can still see the chalk drawings I made and can't seem to wash off! I like the flowers much better!
Your blog is super cute. Great tips and ideas. My daughter's name is Audrey, too. She is six. She's the most girly girl in the world! Her room is cotton candy pink and creme with lepaord print. So fun! Hope all is well! Keep in touch!

About Me

Kansas, United States
Wife to high school sweetheart, mom of a spunky but sweet 4 1/2 year old, an ornery but cute 2 year old and a "sweet" baby girl.