Sunday, February 8, 2009

Baby Cora

About two weeks ago I came across this blog http://themcclenahans.blogspot.com/ about a sweet family from Kansas going through a huge battle with their precious daughter Cora Paige who is 11 months old. Cora was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer on January 22- yes not even a month ago. I checked this blog frequently and had grown to just love her cute little face and my heart hurt knowing that her parents Jessica & Joel were going through such agony and yet through it all their faith remained strong and our God remained constant.

This afternoon I went to check up on Cora and found these words "Cora is with Jesus today" under a picture of Cora with her parents.

I just sat at my computer and I couldn't believe my eyes- tears came and I felt almost "weird" for being upset when I don't even know this family. Then I became almost "upset" at myself for getting all emotionally attached to someone I didn't even know. But this story and many other stories similar to it touch cords and I get attached and want to know more- yes, they make us sad and worry about our own families and children but more than anything they make me THANKFUL for all I have. Stories like these keep me on the floor playing with my daughter longer and allow my to do list to wait and not get as much attention as I would like. Stories like these make those dust bunnies on the hardwoods seem not quite as annoying, that dirty bathroom sink seem "bearable" for a couple more days and all those toys taking over the living room seem like not that big of a deal afterall. And more than anything it's made me realize that God has His plan and that our children are just on "loan" from Him- what a privilage He has given us. At least that's what Cora's story has done for me.

I read this on another blog about baby Cora that really sums it up: We prayed for the cancer to be gone. And now it is. She is now perfect. Being held by our GREAT AND WONDERFUL GOD.

4 comments:

Jason, Brooke, Aynslee, Liam, & Elijah said...

Hi Kara! I've been following your blog since I saw it on Lindsays page! Your little girl is adorable!! I went to baby Cora's blog last night after I saw your post and started reading it. Dont feel bad--my eyes welled up with tears immediately. What a sad situation but it makes you step back and realize whats important in life and thank God for what we do have!
Brooke

The Frazee's said...

I agree, why is it that it takes a story like this to make us step and realize how precious these little lives are? A good reminder-thanks kara

Anonymous said...

Hey Kara--this is Ryan Barrett's wife. I found your blog through Tiffany's and this post just broke my heart. As any parent, it's your worst fear come true. My nieces are at Wesley right now (twins born at 26 weeks!) and my sister in law just posted news about Cora on their website. They know Jessica and Joel through the Ronald McDonald House. Such a small world. My brother had mentioned them before, about how lucky he was (when his little girls are fighting to stay at 2 pounds.) I'm praying for Cora's family and know that there's a special angel watching over the girls tonight.

Gail said...

Thanks for posting this Kara. I check out your blog every now and then--I think my big sis told me about it. We went the funeral last week--incredibly heartbreaking, yet they're still so filled with hope. Challenges me like crazy. I agree that stories like these help me to appreciate what I've got, even in the not-so-great moments!

About Me

Kansas, United States
Wife to high school sweetheart, mom of a spunky but sweet 4 1/2 year old, an ornery but cute 2 year old and a "sweet" baby girl.