Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Flood Drill

Back in my other life as a fifth grade teacher in the DeSoto Schools http://www.usd232.org/ April 1st brings back some very fond and fun memories!

My first year teaching- April 1st 2002 at Clear Creek Elementary at the very end of our April Fools Day Mrs. Tramp pulled a fast one on about 22 sweet and innocent ten year olds.

I "read" an email (I just ad libbed this part) from our princpal Mr. D that said we had to practice a FLOOD DRILL. I gave the specific directions what they would need to do and then on my prompt they did it. Here were the directions:
* no talking (a strict rule for tornado and fire drills)
* sit on their desks
* pull their kneees up and hold against chest
* hold their nose
* hold their breath
* Sit and wait till the teacher gives the all clear!

I had them up there for awhile and then went to get Mrs. Hopkins next door and told her to come look, when I walked back in there they were- all still sitting up there like good little pupils and then I yelled (pretty sure I jumped up at the same time): APRIL FOOLS!!!!!!
The kids went NUTS and I laughed my head off!
The bell went off and off they went- word spread fast what Mrs. Tramp "made" them do- it was a great day!

Happy April Fools Day!

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I remember that...That makes me laugh!

Have a great day!
Jill

Tiffany said...

How fun :)

Becky said...

I kept your flood drill tradition alive for you.....I had a class of kindergartners up on the bleachers and following directions very nicely for a flood drill. HA!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry I retired from teaching (5th grade) last may!! I would have loved using this one!! How clever. My kids would have loved it! Libby Hineman's Aunt

About Me

Kansas, United States
Wife to high school sweetheart, mom of a spunky but sweet 4 1/2 year old, an ornery but cute 2 year old and a "sweet" baby girl.